Dr Avani Lakhani
Private office is now accepting new patients.
Avani Lakhani, MD, FACOG
Avani (Avi) Lakhani is a practicing Gynecologist in Maui for the past 7 years. She studied medicine at Maharaja Sayajirao University in India and finished residency training at University of California San Francisco. She is dually trained in OB GYN and Family Practice and focuses on preventive and wellness care for women. Her fields of interest include gynecology care for the women of Maui, office procedures including hysteroscopy, office tubal sterilization - Essure, office endometrial ablation - Novasure, incontinence treatment, colposcopy, and advanced surgical techniques in laparoscopy and minimally invasive surgery.
Dr Lakhani has been a visionary in providing empathetic care to the women of Maui in a comfortable, low-stress, private office. She moved to Maui from San Francisco in 2006 with her dog Sammy to work as a traveling doctor at Kaiser. She immediately fell in love with the island way of life. She set down roots in Maui. Four years later she chose to set up a groundbreaking private practice to serve the women of Maui. Also at the same time she met now husband Greg who is a kite designer and his dog Sunny. Her husband has been very influential and supportive in the setup and operation of the practice. Avi and Greg enjoy kitesurfing, road biking, and hiking with their island Ohana. Around the holidays Avi turns into a bit of a Martha Stewart and enjoys baking and cooking.
Avi's strongest emphasis in providing compassionate healthcare for women is on quality of care and providing all possible treatment options for any given condition. She is often taking courses in advanced GYN surgery. She enjoys providing advanced GYN imaging options in Maui such as transvaginal and saline infusion sonography as well as minimally invasive hysterectomy which allows for same-day discharge.
Dr Lakhani is immediate past Chair of the department of OB GYN at Maui Memorial Medical Center & Clinical Instructor in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women's Health at University of Hawaii, John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu.
Ann Craddock, BSN, APRN
Ann (Robles) Craddock is a Certified Women's Health Nurse Practitioner providing services alongside Dr Lakhani at Maui LeiAloha OB GYN. She specializes in contraceptive counseling including provision of intrauterine device and Implanon, STD evaluation & treatment, cervical cancer screening including colposcopy services. Ann has been working in the field of gynecology for almost 20 years starting as a medical assistant and outreach worker, then into clinical management, and registered nursing. In 2004 Ann received her graduate certification as a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner through the Planned Parenthood of MN/SD Nurse Practitioners Program in collaboration with the University of Minnesota. Ann has been practicing as a nurse practitioner specialist since 2004 having practiced as a licensed APRN in both California and Maui. Ann joined our practice in July 2012.
Ann is originally from Novato, CA and initially moved to Maui in 2001. She enjoys spending time with her husband, Kevin, whom she met in 2006. Ann has settled in Kihei and enjoys surfing, running, gardening, and volleyball Sundays with her Maui ohana.
- Adolescent Gynecology: Teenage years mark a time of transition from childhood to adulthood. Her gynecologist can guide the young woman thru her first exam as well as provide counseling for birth control, STD prevention and immunization in a private and comfortable atmosphere at Maui LeiAloha OBGYN, LLC. An internal exam is not always required. New guidelines have changed the age of first pap smear to age 21.
- Family Planning & Contraception: New technology has improved contraceptive choices for women of childbearing age. A comprehensive review and access to all forms of contraception is available in the convenience of our private office. Enjoy the convenience of a permanent contraceptive procedure performed in the privacy of our office. Visit Essure website for more information.
- Endometrial Ablation: With the many responsibilities that today's women shoulder, we have no time to stop for irregular and/or heavy bleeding. Endometrial ablation is a highly effective treatment for abnormal uterine bleeding in many women. It is a same day procedure performed in the privacy of our office. This avoids the expense and hassle of surgery at the hospital as well as allows fast recovery. Most women can return to work within 2 days. Visit the Novasure website for more information.
- Gynecologic Procedures: We provide all routine gynecologic procedures including colposcopy, LEEP, genital wart treatment, cryotherapy, and vulvar biopsy.
- Hysteroscopy: Abnormalities of the lining of the uterus such as fibroids or polyps can cause irregular bleeding. Endoscopic evaluation and treatment is easily possible in our private offices without the need to visit the hospital.
- Minimally invasive surgery including SILS: Endometriosis, pelvic pain, ovarian cysts are some of the conditions that may require surgical management. Laparoscopic surgery allows same-day discharge from the hospital, quick recovery and reduces the risk of infection. Why have a scar when you can have an incision that is completely hidden in the bellybutton or 2-3 small incisions all less than 1.5 cm? Visit SILS website for more information. Dr Lakhani is a highly accomplished laparoscopic surgeon respected by her colleagues for the advanced surgical techniques she brings to the community of Maui.
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy including SILS hysterectomy: When all other methods of treatment have been tried unsuccessfully, a hysterectomy can provide excellent patient satisfaction and resolution of symptoms. Dr Lakhani is one of only very few gynecologic surgeons on Maui who perform laparoscopic hysterectomy. This allows the convenience of discharge from the hospital within 24 hours, fast recovery, and return to work within 2 weeks.
- Infertility evaluation and treatment: Counseling and treatment for infertility can help you conceive with the help of reproductive technology. Artificial insemination is performed in our office.
- Incontinence evaluation, counseling, & management: Now offering urodynamic testing & treatment for incontinence. Women may experience unpleasant incontinence in the perimenopausal and postmenopausal years. We help coordinate counseling & treatment. Dr Lakhani performs the TOT procedure. Visit Pelvic Health website for more information.
- Ultrasound and technology: Ultrasound is an important adjunct for the evaluation of women with gynecologic conditions. The Siemens Acuson ultrasound in our office provides superior endovaginal imaging acoustics and diagnostics. This combines interpretation of radiologic & clinical information by your OBGYN and allows for better evaluation and management of the patient. We also perform saline infusion sonography to better characterize endometrial mass lesions such as fibroids or polyps.
- CoolSculpting: We also provide body contouring procedure via cryolipolysis - COOLSCULPTING via a private, comfortable, personalized consultation and treatment.
- Practice is currently limited to gynecology and pregnancy care during the first 3 months of gestation. We currently do not provide obstetric services.
Mahalo nui loa to Dr Lakhani and her team! They are very professional in a pleasant atmosphere - so understanding, calm and helpful. I will gladly recommend this doctor and her practice! - Karen Monika Mahoe, June 6, 2014
Ann & Dr Lakhani are a wonderful team. Very kind and gentle, yet thorough. My first appt but will highly recommend. - Rebecca Zeuch, Jan 31, 2013